Three Electrical Dangers To Avoid

Posted on

Electrical dangers like fires and electrocution are everywhere. However, homeowners can significantly reduce the likelihood of injury by engaging in safe practices. Make sure you know what practices could be putting you and your family at a dangerous risk.

Old Wiring

If your home is on the older side and you've never had the wiring inspected, you could be at an increased risk for an electrical fire, especially if you have aluminum wiring. In the past, aluminum wiring was the norm. However, copper wiring was found to be a safer wiring alternative because it is less prone to fire, making it the more popular choice.

To reduce the risk of a fire, homeowners need to update their wiring. If you're not sure what type of wiring you have, it's a good idea to have a professional from a company similar to D & D Electric Enterprises, Inc. come out and check so that you can eliminate this risk promptly.

Incorrect Outlets

If you don't have any Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters, or GFCI outlets in your home, you could be at an increased risk for electrocution. GFCIs should be installed in your bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, outdoor outlets and any other area where the outlet could come in to contact with water.

These outlets work by turning off the electric power circuit to the outlet whenever it detects that the electricity is going through an unintended path, such as through water or a person. Without this type of protection, your entire family is at risk when using electric devices in water-prone areas.

Frequent Power Shorts

Power shorts are annoying, but they are also something you don't just want to look over. If a lamp flickers when you bump the table it is resting on, or if turning on a microwave causes all the power in your home to go out, don't ignore the problem. These types of scenarios are indicative of an issue with your wiring.

For example, each time the lamp flickers, this could cause a small spark within the electrical wire. At any moment that small spark could be enough to start a fire within the outlet. By the time you see the flames, the fire could be quite large. If you have any devices in your home that operate this way, call a professional for advice.

In the event of an electrical concern in your home, don't hesitate to call on an electrician for assistance.


Share